- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
A Cinnamon Coconut Ice Cream with Orange Ginger Crunch and Persimmon Jelly By GreenChef Heather Pace
Posted By Heather Pace On November 17, 2011 @ 1:10 am In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Raw | 6 Comments
Photographer Heather Pace
Today I’ve got a tasty ice cream dessert recipe to share, which has the added benefit of the medicial chaga mushroom (although it’s optional). I did a post on chaga last year and included a Chaga Maple Frosty recipe in addition to mentioning some of it’s benefits. I’m fortunate to live in an area where chaga grows in abundance all year around.
I made this ice cream last week, since a friend was over for dinner and I wanted to do a little something special. What to do with a few young coconuts, some ripe mushy persimmons, fresh ginger, and a bunch of soaked irish moss?! Here’s what I came up with. It would also be great with a chocolate sauce, or orange segments in place in place of the persimmon jelly.
For the Cinnamon Ice Cream
2 1/2 cups coconut water
1 1/2 cups young coconut pulp
1/4 cup chaga irish moss gel*
3-4 tablespoons coconut nectar or yacon syrup
8 drops stevia
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mesquite
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For the Orange Ginger Crunch
1/2 cup coconut shreds
3 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
3 drops orange essential oil
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 drops stevia
2 teaspoons coconut nectar
Pinch of himalayan salt
1 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Instructions for the Cinnamon Ice Cream:
1. Blend all but the coconut oil until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the oil and blend to incorporate.
3. Chill the mixture in the fridge, about 4-6 hours, or up to over night.
4. Process the liquid mixture through an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.
Instructions for the Orange Ginger Crunch:
1. Toss all ingredients together, adding the oil last.
2. Spread the mixture out on a plate and chill in the fridge or freezer until it firms up.
3. Break up the chunks.
4. Serve over the ice cream
You will need: 2 ripe persimmons
1. Remove the pulp from the persimmons.
2. Finely chop.
*Irish Moss Gel
You will need: 3/4 cup chaga tea, reishi tea or water and 2 oz soaked irish moss
1. Rinse a handful of irish moss in cold water until any bits of debris have been removed. Keep rinsing until the water runs clear.
2. Allow the moss to soak in cold water for 6-12 hours.
3. Chop the moss and blend it with the tea or water until it warms up and turns into a gel.
4. Chill the gel in the fridge for 5-7 days, or use immediately.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/a-cinnamon-coconut-ice-cream-with-orange-ginger-crunch-and-persimmon-jelly-by-greenchef-heather-pace/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.