Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on May 27, 2012
I don’t think I know a single person who doesn’t love chocolate. Do you? The only thing better than a really good organic dark chocolate bar, would have to be a dessert created with a really good organic dark chocolate bar! Am I right or what?
That is what I have created here. I took a few of my favorite ingredients (almonds, chocolate, dates, oranges) and combined them to create, little bite size pieces of heaven in a dessert. You get a little sweetness from the dates, crunch from the almonds and mmmness from the chocolate. Not to mention the un-expected hint of orange, cinnamon and nutmeg. This one is definitely monkie approved!
For the Recipe
24 sprouted or regular almonds
2 tsp finely grated orange peel, divided
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
12 Medjool dates
1 RAW or regular dark chocolate bar
1. Toss 24 almonds, 1 teaspoon orange peel, honey, and spices in small bowl.
2. Carefully slit each date with a sharp knife and remove pit.
3. Press 2 spiced almonds into each slit and enclose nuts in date.
4. Line small baking sheet with foil.
5. Melt chocolate in homemade double broiler*.
6. Dip date into melted chocolate and place on to foil.
7. Repeat with remaining dates.
8. Sprinkle remaining orange peel over chocolate-dipped dates.
9. Chill in refrigerator until chocolate sets, 30 minutes.
*homemade double broiler: You can use any heat proof bowl and place it on top of a pot that has a couple of inches of water in the bottom. Bring the water to a boil and place heat proof bowl on top and add you chocolate. The steam from the boiling water will melt the chocolate so turn off the flame as soon as it starts to melt. Use a oven mitt or kitchen towel to carefully take off bowl.