- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Anyone Ready For A Creamy Apple-Anise Soup and Pumpkinseed Cheese By GreenChefs Golubka?
Posted By Golubka On November 22, 2011 @ 12:31 am In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Main Courses,Recipes / Raw,Recipes / Soups & Salads,The Ingredient: Cheese | 4 Comments
Some foods have a distinct seasonal disposition. Ice cream for summertime, apple pie in the autumn, hot soup during winter, and roasted artichoke in the spring. Well, I have a feeling that this soup surpasses seasons. It’s both light and hearty and is just as delicious chilled as it is warm.
I often daydream about food and make up different recipes while doing things unrelated to cooking. Well recently, in the middle of a daydream, I got an idea for making a soup that would have nut milk for its base. I imagined a bowl full of soup that is “blond” and creamy, and became excited about the possibilities of the milk’s earthy flavour.
It took quite a bit of experimentation until I was able to minimize the ingredients to two simple companions to almond milk – apple and fennel. Combined with the milk’s nutty taste, the two bring a sweet and fresh presence to the bowl. The spice of chili and coriander deepens the flavour and ties the whole thing together with a slight kick. The use of nut milk instead of whole nuts makes for a much lighter soup.
Well recently, in the middle of a daydream, I got an idea for making a soup that would have nut milk for its base.
Pumpkinseed cheese is a fairly recent discovery. The first time I made it, I could not believe what a wonderful result I got with so few ingredients. It’s a bit like a cracker. A cheesy, healthy, and delicious one. I’ve made it very frequently over the past couple of months. It’s simple, and works as a wonderful snack or part of a meal. I like to serve the soup with this “cheese,” but it’s very possible to pair it with any crackers of your choice.
For the Almond Milk
1 cup almonds – soaked overnight
3 cups water
For the Creamy Apple-Anise Soup
2 cups almond milk
1 fennel bulb – roughly chopped
1 large apple (any kind) – cored and roughly chopped, reserve 1/4 for garnish
1 handful fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 small chili pepper – seeded
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
Garnishthe reserved 1/4 of apple – cut in small cubes pumpkin seeds – optionally soaked and dehydrated for extra crunch drizzle of chili olive oil (optional) – olive oil mixed with chili powder fresh mint or cilantro leaves
For the Pumpkinseed Cheese
1 cup pumpkin seeds – soaked overnight
1/4 cup purified water
1/8 cup lemon or lime juice
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Instructions For Almond Milk:
1. In a high speed blender, thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
2. Strain through a nut bag or double lined cheesecloth, carefully squeezing all the liquid out.
3. Use 2 cups of the milk for soup, and if you have some left over, enjoy it with your breakfast or cookies.
4. You can make these cookies out of the left-over almond pulp.
Instructions For Creamy Apple-Anise Soup:
1. In a high speed blender, combine all the ingredients until smooth.
2. Adjust the salt and spices.
3. Garnish with the cubed apple, pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of chili olive oil.
4. Before serving, heat up in the dehydrator or serve chilled.
Instructions For Pumpkinseed Cheese:
1. In a food processor, blend all the ingredients until smooth.
2. Thinly spread onto Teflex sheets and dehydrate at 115F for 6 hours.
3. Flip and remove the Teflex.
4. Break into pieces and dehydrate for another 2 hours.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/anyone-ready-for-a-creamy-apple-anise-soup-and-pumpkinseed-cheese-by-greenchefs-golubka/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.