- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Apple Walnut dried Cherry Quinoa Crumble (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On December 22, 2012 @ 12:00 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Vegan | 3 Comments
This is one of my favorite comforting gluten free winter desserts. Your house will smell divinely festive too! Any firm apple works well here: Gala, Fuji, Jonagold, Rome, Winesap, Mutsu. If you use soft apples such as Macintosh or Red delicious you will get more of an apple sauce texture. Hey, could be good too! Try it all I say!! Oh and I like to leave the apple skins on, being that much of the nutrients are in the skin, but if you prefer them without, by all means peel away. Also any seasonal fruit works wonderfully so have fun experimenting with your favorites. You can make this with or without nuts, use any dried fruit, substitute rolled oats for the quinoa flakes and another all purpose whole grain flour for the quinoa flour. Serve warm with a scoop of Nutmeg Ice Cream. Mmmm Mmmmm
For the Crumble
1 cup walnut halves
¾ cup quinoa flakes
½ cup quinoa flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup maple sugar (use 3/4 cup for a sweeter topping)
6 TB walnut oil, sunflower oil or melted coconut butter
For the Apple Filling
6 medium apples, halved, cored and cut into ½ inch cubes
½ cup dried cherries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
2 TB maple syrup
2 TB agave
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
1 TB tapioca flour
Pinch of sea salt
Instructions For The Crumble
Preheat oven 400.
1. To make topping: in a medium bowl mix together quinoa flakes, quinoa and tapioca flour, sugar, walnuts and salt.
2. Drizzle in oil one TB at a time, mix with wooden spoon.
3. It should look crumbly, with clumps and wet sand.
4. Refrigerate for at least an hour or until chilled. (the topping could be made one day in advance. Just refrigerate until use)
Instructions For The Filling
1. Toss everything into an 8×8 inch glass baking dish.
2. Mix everything to combine.
3. Sprinkle reserved topping evenly over apples.
4. Bake in the middle rack of oven for 15 minutes at 400.
5. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are soft.
6. Remove from oven and let cool a bit.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/apple-walnut-dried-cherry-quinoa-crumble-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.