- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Butternut Squash and Chestnut Soup (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On September 9, 2011 @ 12:45 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List | No Comments
Yummy yummy elegant goodness is abundantly found in this soup. The sweetness from the squash and the smoky nuttiness from the chestnuts are a decadently delicious combination — a perfect compliment to any holiday dinner party or lunch. You’ll be amazed at how easy this is to make and how easy you will WOW your guests…
For the Recipe
6 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
6 to 7 cups homemade vegetable broth (or Imagine organic no-chicken vegetable stock)
2 TB olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
¼ cup white wine
2 tsp fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
Fresh ground black pepper
For the Chestnut Puree
½ pound vacuum-packed whole chestnuts, about 1 ½ cups
1 cup vegetable stock
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place chestnuts in small saucepan with 1 cup of stock and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover pan, and simmer until soft, about 20 minutes. Puree in blender until smooth, adding stock as needed to thin and season with a dash of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Set aside until needed.
2. Place the chopped squash and 5 cups of the stock in a soup pot. Bring to boil, lower the heat, and simmer until squash is tender and starting to beak apart, about 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a sauté pan and add onion, ¼ tsp salt, and pinch of pepper. Cook over medium heat until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Pour in the wine and cook until pan is nearly dry, about 3 minutes.
4. Add Chestnut puree and reserve ½ cup of the puree for the garnish. Add the remaining puree to the squash, along with the onions and another pinch of salt. Cook together over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Place in blender and puree until smooth, adding stock as needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning with adding more sea salt and pepper if necessary. Garnish each serving with a swirl of reserved Chestnut Puree and sprinkle with sage.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/bite-this-butternut-squash-chestnut-soup/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.