Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on December 23, 2012
Eating black eye peas on New Year’s Day is thought to bring prosperity for the new year so… eat this yummy stuff UP and have a very very happy successful delicious new year!! And don’t forget your greens!
For the Recipe
1 pound black eye peas, soaked overnight
2 Tb olive oil
3 cups onion, chopped
5 garlic, minced
3 celery stocks, chopped
2 quarts filtered water
2 Tb fresh sage or 1 tsp dried
1 TB fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 TB fresh marjoram or 1 tsp dried
1 TB fresh oregano or 1 ½ tsp dried
¾ cup fresh parsley
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1. Drain soaked beans and rinse.
2. In a soup pot over medium heat add olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and celery about 10 minutes.
3. Add black eye peas, filtered water, salt, red pepper and all herbs except parsley.
4. Simmer partially covered for about 2 hours or until peas are tender.
5. Add more water if needed and possibly more salt.
6. Drizzle with some good quality olive oil.
This salad is great when added to some fresh greens, such as Arugula, Kale or other hearty winter greens. If you want to go completely the cooked route, you can always sauté up the greens.