- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Homemade Candied Orange Peels By GreenChef Callie England
Posted By Callie England On July 26, 2011 @ 12:25 am In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Raw | 6 Comments
Photographer: Callie England
Over the holidays, I did quite a bit of cooking. And yes, by cooking, I mean the kind that involves heat.
Something I’ve never made before, but have had bookmarked for ages – are candied citrus peels. Now, most recipes and/or ideas I bookmark are usually craving driven, but these, were presentation driven. I didn’t so much care about the food part, I just cared about the process and the final outcome. However, I have to say that I did end up really enjoying them taste wise, and, so did Polo! Sure, they aren’t much more than sugar + more sugar, but I guess if you’re going to eat candy, it might as well be organic, preservative/dye free, and homemade.
For most, this recipe would be nothing short of a punishment given the detail that goes into cutting the peels. For a detailed oriented person like myself though, I found it extremely relaxing. Then again, I’m the person who will scribble the same word over and over for hours on end to calm my nerves… Think I’m kidding? Just look at my desk – I actually think it’s borderline disordered.
Any who, with that being said, it’s obviously not the quickest recipe. But if it’s any consolation, the aromatic qualities from start to finish (peeling, cutting and boiling of the orange rinds) will surely help calm any tension it may bring.
As a side note, the original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar to every 1 cup of water. However, I couldn’t bring myself to use that much sugar. So instead, I used 1/2 Cup of sugar for every 1 Cup of water. In the end, it worked great – leaving absolutely no reason to use the original 1-to-1 ratio!
For the Recipe
10 ripe oranges
2.5 Cups of organic (preferably turbinado) sugar
5 Cups of water
1. Create 9 slits from top to bottom around each orange – like a beach ball (see images below). Gently peel the rind from each section and julienne thinly. Set aside.
2. Place rinds in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 10 minutes, remove from heat and drain.
3. Place 5 cups of water and 2.5 cups of sugar in pot and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally to make sure the sugar is dissolved. Add strips to boiling syrup, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until strips are translucent. About 1 hour.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a wire rack, with parchment paper underneath.
5. optional: roll strips in additional sugar. Personally, I skipped this step.
6. Arrange in a single layer on a wire rack, and leave to dry – Mine took about 24 hours given the overall reduction in sugar.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/candied-orange-peels/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.