Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on September 12, 2012
You will never make hummus again. Well, maybe you will but I promise you will make this recipe more! It’s one of my all time favorites. So full of flavor and so satisfying. Toast some whole grain bread or pita and you’ve got a wonderful appetizer for your holiday dinner parties.
For the Recipe
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 small garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cups mint, chopped
1/4 cups flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 TB plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper
1. Heat 4 TB olive oil in sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas and cook 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and cool about 15 minutes.
6. Add chickpea mixture, mint, parsley, lemon juice and salt to food processor, season with fresh ground black pepper and puree. With the machine running add the remaining of olive oil, slow and steady.
7. Transfer to bowl and add more olive oil if desired. Serve with warm pita or crackers.