Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on January 17, 2012
This is a decadently delicious wheat free cake. The chestnut flour adds a divine depth and a touch of nuttiness and has quickly become on of my favorite gluten free flours to bake with. Serve this cake alone, with cashew cream or some homemade Ice Cream and you and your guest will never think this is vegan. Oh and your chocolate fix will be…ummmm…fixed.
For the Recipe
1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
1/2 cup chestnut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cups cacoa or cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup homemade nut milk or unsweetened soy
1/3 cup coconut butter/oil, melted
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup agave
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven 350.
2. Oil a 9 inch springform pan – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springform_pan
3. Sift or mix flours, baking powder and baking soda in bowl.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the cocoa or cacao powder and cinnamon in the milk, stirring continuously. When it begins to bubble, remove from heat and pour into another bowl.
5. Add remaining liquid ingredients and salt to the cocoa and whisk until combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the dry and whisk until batter is smooth.
7. Pour batter into the oiled springform pan and bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean.