- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Autumn Florida Dessert! No Not Piña Coladas, More Like Cranberry Apple Pie With Cinnamon Swirl Ice Cream
Posted By Natalia On October 29, 2010 @ 1:09 pm In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Raw | 3 Comments
I embrace the change of the seasons, no matter how subtle it may be in my current climate (Florida). Yes, it’s still in the 80’s here, brightly sunny and gorgeous.
Autumn is my favorite time of year, when I can turn off my air conditioner and open the windows, welcoming in a light fresh, breeze. I grew up in New England, so no matter what I am experiencing for weather, autumn is a time for apples, apples and more apples. The problem is, I despise the organic apple varieties that are readily available to me. I guess I’m an apple snob. I don’t like the huge, overly sweet, super hard apples like Gala and Fuji that I can always find. I’m a McIntosh girl, loving that they are slightly tart, and easier to bite & chew. Of course, they’re ridiculously hard to find organically, especially in Florida! Even when the fall apples, in their little white tote bags, arrive on the shelves, I never expect to find anything organic, because I’ve never seen them. So this year, I did a double take when I saw organic McIntosh apples at my local Whole Foods. I filled a bag to the top wondering if I would ever see them again! With these McIntosh apples back in my life, I’m so enjoying an apple a day…and making sure I have enough left over to create!
I’m a McIntosh girl, loving that they are slightly tart, and easier to bite & chew.
As the holidays draw near, I’m always thinking of sweets I can share with friends and family. Though I’m normally a rich, creamy, chocolaty dessert lover, this cranberry apple pie blew me away. Tart cranberries and my favorite McIntosh apples are spiced and sweetened, sitting atop a ginger cookie crust. Top it off with a sweet and spicy cinnamon swirl ice cream and you have entered autumn dessert heaven.
For the Ginger Cookie Crust
1 1/2 cups raw Brazil nuts
1/4 cup raw agave nectar
1 tablespoon raw coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
pinch of salt
For the Cranberry Apple Filling
1 cup roughly chopped apple
3/4 cup raw agave nectar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen & thawed)
1 1/2 cups finely diced apple
4 teaspoons ground chia seed
For the Cinnamon Swirl Ice Cream
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups pure water
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
1/2 cup raw agave nectar
1/3 cup coconut butter (not oil!)
2 vanilla beans or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Instructions for Ginger Cookie Crust:
1. Place the Brazil nuts into your food processor and process until finely ground.
2. Add all remaining ingredients and process until sticky.
3. Scrape into a 9″ pie pan or an 8-9″ springform or silicone pan and press evenly into the bottom.
4. Place in the freezer to set.
Instructions for Cranberry Apple Filling:
1. Place the roughly chopped apple, agave, cinnamon and ginger into your food processor.
2. Process to puree the apple.
3. Add the cranberries to the food processor and pulse to chop, but do not puree.
4. Scrape into a bowl.
5. Add the finely diced apple and chia seed to the bowl and mix very well.
6. Pour over your crust and place the freezer to set for 3 hours.
7. Once frozen, cut into 8 slices.
8. Thaw completely to serve.
Instructions for Cinnamon Swirl Ice Cream:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup agave with the cinnamon and salt.
2. Place in the freezer to chill.
3. In a high-speed blender, combine water, cashews, agave, coconut butter, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
4. Blend on high until very smooth.
5. Pour into an ice cream maker and process until rich and creamy.
6. At the last minute, add the chilled cinnamon agave and continue to process until the ice cream is nicely swirled.
7. Serve each slice of pie with a scoop of ice cream.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/cranberry-apple-pie/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.