Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on December 21, 2012
Photographer V Blak
I love making vegetable soups. They can be very nourishing and are for the most part very easy to create. And since we got such a wonderful response for my Cauliflower soup, I figured I’d share my Broccoli Leek soup with you all. See which one you like betta…
For The Recipe
2 TB coconut butter or extra-virgin olive oil
1 large head of dark green broccoli, stems peeled and sliced and florets coarsely chopped (reserve some small uncut florets for garnish)
2 medium leeks, cleaned and use white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
4 to 5 cups vegetable stock or filtered water
1 cup homemade nutmilk or unsweetened soymilk
1 bay leaf
handful of fresh thyme sprigs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 TB fresh lemon juice
1. In a large pot, over high heat, melt coconut butter or oil.
2. Add the leeks, potatoes and a nice pinch of sea salt. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add chopped broccoli florets and the stock or water, bay leaf and thyme sprigs; cover and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Stir in 1 tsp sea salt and 1TB of fresh lemon juice.
5. Working in batches, puree the soup until very smooth.
6. Return the puree to the pot and add reserved Broccoli small florets. Cook another 5 minutes.
7. Stir in the milk of choice and the Season with salt and white pepper. Keep warm.