Our Monday Salad, A Green Bean, Rocket, Peach & Fig Salad With A Raspberry & Balsamic Vinegar Dressing Salad..
Contributing Monkie Alice Savorelli
Published on October 4, 2010
Photography Alice Savorelli
This is V here: It’s Monday and starting today and ending today we will post a new salad every Monday. And now on to Alice’s recipe:
Fast, super-easy, hearty and full of flavors, this is the perfect salad for the late-summer, early-fall season. Refreshing and satisfying, colorful and elegant, this fruit and vegetable salad works amazingly well as a light lunch but you can certainly serve it at a dinner party, just make sure you prepare it right before serving time as the vegetables -and fruits- can get too soggy. The main components of this dish are typical summer fruits -such as fresh white peaches, figs and raspberries- that are usually eaten on their own or in a fruit salad. Here, I combine them with green beans, rocket and fresh herbs -thyme and chives- and the result is a tasty, sweet and sour salad which is a great feast of tastes and textures, beautiful to look at but also good for your health.
Balsamic vinegar complements all the different fruity and herby flavors.
For the Salad
3 handfuls fresh green beans, ends trimmed (plus filtered water and a pinch of whole sea salt, to cook them)
4-5 fresh, ripe but firm figs
4 handfuls of rocket
2 small, ripe but firm white peaches
add thyme sprigs, and chives, to taste at the very end, as a garnish
For the Dressing
8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground mustard
7 teaspoons agave syrup
8 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
whole sea salt, just enough to taste
2-3 handfuls of fresh, ripe raspberries
1. Cook the beans in boiling water for 6-8 minutes (don’t overcook them).
2. Drain, rinse under running water, pat dry with some kitchen paper if necessary, transfer into a salad bowl and let cool (first at room temperature, then in the fridge).
3. Place all the dressing ingredients except the raspberries in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well.
4. Add the raspberries, shake a little more and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Once the green beans are completely cold, you can proceed making the salad.
6. Wash and trim the figs then cut them into wedges.
7. Wash the rocket and pat dry it with some paper towel.
8. Wash the peach and slice it, removing the stone.
9. Add the figs, rocket and peach to the salad bowl where you previously put the green beans.
10. Toss and mix, drizzle with the dressing, garnish with the thyme and chives and serve.