Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on January 26, 2011
I love my greens so much so, that I practically eat a salad everyday. But the down side of eating that many greens is that they can get a little dull. So here is a quick and easy, protein packed idea to help jazz up your next salad. A warm topping of some French Lentils. Look at this Chipotle option in the ingredients… mmm gives it a little smoky flavor. mmmmm I have to say!
For the Recipe
1 cup French or black beluga lentils
3 cups filtered water
1 bay leaf
1 dried chipotle chili (optional)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
½ tsp sea salt
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
1. Rinse the lentils in cold water.
2. Place the lentils into a 2-quart saucepan and add water.
3. Add bay leaf, chili if using and garlic cloves.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook lentils for about 15 minutes.
5. Add salt and stir. Cook another 5 minutes or until the lentils are tender. If necessary, add a little water, to keep the lentils from drying out. There should be very little liquid remaining.
6. Discard the bay leaf, chili and garlic cloves.
7. Toss the lentils with the extra-virgin olive oil, a dash of fresh lemon juice and add more salt if necessary.
When cooled serve over a fresh green salad topped with your favorite dressing.