- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
French Onion Soup (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On August 23, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Soups & Salads | 5 Comments
Vegans and carnivores will both be happy with this amazingly rich soup. A perfect starter for a Christmas meal. The special somethin’ somethin’ comes from the use of unpasteurized dark miso. I use south river miso. They make their miso using a variety of grains, beans and sea vegetables. They are all wonderful. Miso not only adds extra depth to any soup but has exceptional nutritional values. Unpasteurized miso is a ‘living food’ and contains natural digestive enzymes that aid in digestion, so it’s a great way to get your tummy ready for all the other food comin’ it’s way from your holiday feast!
*note: Use the recipe for ‘homemade vegetable stock’ from our earlier Bite This recipe for the vegetable stock!
For the Recipe
2 TB olive oil
4 pounds red and yellow onions (about 8), halved and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
½ cup port
8 cups vegetable stock
3 to 4 TB dark miso paste
fresh ground black pepper
fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
2. Add onions and garlic, dash of sea salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Uncover and continue to stir and cook until onions are dark golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. (If bottom becomes brown add ¼ cup water and scrap up browned bits with wooden spoon.)
4. Add port and cook until syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in broth. Bring to simmer.
5. Turn off stove. Mix 3 Tb miso in ½ cup water and then blend into soup. (Do not boil miso. It losses the nourishing medicinal properties.)
6. Taste. Depending on your salty taste buds add more miso if necessary.
7. Add freshly ground pepper and garnish with a touch of fresh chopped parsley.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/french-onion-soup-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.