Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on January 25, 2012
Photographer V Blak
It’s challenging to find fresh organic fruit in the dead of winter. This, of course depends on where you are located in the world. As for me, all the organic berries I find in the markets of New York, are not only extremely expensive but they all seem to be coming from far away places. And so, I decided to go with a couple of bags of frozen organic berries. Those berries were my inspiration for this gluten free berry crisp dessert. It just goes to show you, you never know from where or from what something delicious will be born!
For the Topping
1 cup quinoa flakes or rolled oats
1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 TB walnut oil or melted coconut oil
1/3 cups palm sugar, maple syrup or agave
For the Filling
1 bag frozen organic blueberries
1 bag frozen organic cranberries
2 TB tapioca flour
4 TB palm sugar, maple syrup or agave
1 TB fresh lemon
1 TB vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees.
2. Make filling: Mix together the berries, tapioca, sweetener of choice, vanilla extract, lemon juice and pinch of salt in the baking dish you are using.
3. Mix until combine.
4. Make topping: In a medium bowl stir together flakes, flours, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and sweetener of choice then slowly drizzle over the flour mixture, mixing with a fork. Should look like clumps of wet sand.
6. Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Bake for 15 minutes then turn oven down to 350 and cook for another 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serve with warm with a scoop of ice cream of your choice. Mmmmmmmm