Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on September 11, 2012
Photographer V Blak
The oven at my BF house sucks. I think I have expressed this unfortunately dilemma before. So when it comes to baking, I cross my fingers and hope it comes out alright due to the uneven heat distribution. That said, these cookies came out of the oven completely flat…blended all together like one big pancake. I almost tossed them…that is until I tasted them…Mmmm. So if the same thing should happen to you, don’t fret. They are still very tasty and the pics came out so good I may have accidentally created the new flat square cookie craze… :)
For the Recipe
2 cups whole spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup maple, palm or brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut butter, room temperature
1/4 cup molasses
3 TB applesauce or 1 large organic egg
2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
2. Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl.
3. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and coconut butter in large bowl until fluffy.
4. Beat in molasses, applesauce or egg and fresh ginger. Then add the dry ingredients.
5. Stir in crystallized ginger.
6. Using moist hands, shape 1 TB of dough into ball. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
7. Bake cookies until golden and dry-looking, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets.