- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Gingered Green Split Pea Soup (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On September 8, 2012 @ 12:00 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Soups & Salads,Recipes / Vegan | 4 Comments
Photographer V Blak
I promise you won’t miss the ham hock in this deeply satisfying soup. Remember to soak the spilt peas overnight or, if you wake up craving this soup, soak them first thing in the morning so they will soak all day and you can make the soup for dinner! Soaking makes the beans cook faster and some say, makes them less gassy. Well, ahem, you be the judge of that. :) I also love to make this soup using yellow spilt peas. They add a lovely brightness to your meal in the wintertime but I only had green on hand so…yep…still as yummy!
For the Recipe
1 cup yellow or green split peas, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
1 medium winter squash, peeled/seeded and cut into medium dice * sub sweet potato if you can’t find any winter squash
1 dried smoked chipotle chili
1 2-inch chunk of fresh ginger, cut into 3 slices
6 cups filtered water
1 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
2 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, cut into small dice
1 TB mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 TB mellow miso, dissolved in 2 TB warm water
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 TB freshly grated ginger root
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, chopped
dash of cayenne pepper
1. Drain and rinse the soaked yellow spilt peas until the water is clear.
2. In medium pot combine spilt peas, chili, ginger and 5 cups water over high heat.
3. Bring to boil and skim off any white foam that has formed.
4. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered, for about an hour or until the split peas are soft and have broken down.
5. Add 1 tsp salt. Stir. Discard ginger and chili.
6. Warm oil in saucepan and add onion, garlic, squash and celery.
7. Sauté about 10 minutes over medium heat, or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
8. Add vegetables to spilt peas. Add mirin to vegetable saucepan along with 1 cup water and cook until all the brown goodness is cooked into the liquid.
9. Add to spilt peas and vegetable pot.
10. Blend half of the soup in high speed blender and add back to pot.
11. Dissolve miso in 2 TB warm water and add to spilt peas.
12. Stir in lemon juice and grated ginger.
13. Taste. Add more salt if necessary.
Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley and a nice dash of cayenne pepper.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/gingered-green-split-pea-soup/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.