- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Gluten Free Crunchy Shortbread Biscuits (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On October 7, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Vegan | 4 Comments
Photographer V Blak
This recipe was sprung out of one of my many Martha Stewart inspired moments.
She called for straight up butter, of course, and so I wanted to see if I could use coconut butter instead. The batter was a little dry so I added nut milk and used chestnut flour instead of hazelnuts cause that’s what I had on hand and wow! They came out crunchy, delicately sweet and the perfect biscuit to serve along side some warm beverages.
For The Recipe
6 TB coconut butter, softened
4 TB homemade nut milk or unsweetened soy milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved for another use
1/2 cup maple, brown or palm sugar
1 cup brown-rice flour
3 ounces blanched hazelnuts, finely ground (1 cup) OR 1 cup chestnut flour
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides.
2. Cream coconut butter, vanilla seeds, and sugar with a mixer until fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add flour, hazelnuts or chestnut flour, and salt.
3. Press into pan; freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Score shortbread into 18 pieces; bake until gold, about 45 minutes.
4. Let cool for 15 minutes in pan. Then using the parchment paper to transfer, take out of baking pan and cool on a wire rack. Following the score lines, use sharp knife and cut into pieces.
5. Shortbread will keep, covered, for up to 3 days.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/gluten-free-shortbread-biscuits/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.