Contributing Monkie Omid
Published on June 15, 2009
Recipe by G Living Member Omid
French Vanilla & Organic Honey Ice Cream (raw)
This is a raw vegan version of the classic French Vanilla ice cream but without any dairy products. It has a smooth creamy texture, nutty flavor and a not too sweet melt-in-the-mouth taste. It is sure to please anyone’s taste buds. Try it and you will never miss the dairy-containing French Vanilla ice cream again.
Serves about 4
For the Ice Cream:
200 g raw cashews
1 ½ cups of pure water
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp raw organic honey
1 banana peeled
½ cup blueberries (optional)
3 cardamoms, slightly crushed
1 Tsp pure vanilla extract
6 Tbsp Organic Honey (for garnish)
Step 1 Place all the ingredients together in a blender except for the cardamoms and blend until very smooth.
Step 2 Transfer to a bowl, stir in the cardamoms and place it in the refrigerator. After about 20 minutes, take the bowl out, remove the cardamoms out and pour the mixture into an ice cream maker.
Step 3 Turn it on and let it churn for about 15 minutes.
Step 4 When the ice cream is half frozen, add the cardamoms, and leave for another 20 minutes (or until you get your ideal consistency). But after that, please remove all the visible cardamoms before scoping them out.
Step 5 Scoop the ice cream into two bowls, drizzle some raw organic honey on top and serve immediately.
There are no blueberries in the picture nor in my ice cream mixture, because I couldn’t find fresh blueberries as they are not out yet in Japan. But, if you can get hold of fresh blueberries it would make it that much better. Thus, I have added the benefits of blueberries in this recipe in case you do.
This raw vegan version of the classic French Vanilla ice cream without any dairy products has a very rich flavor from cashew nuts, dates, banana, blueberries and honey. You will find that this has a better flavor than the regular variety.
* Raw cashew nuts are a nutrient dense food and are good sources of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
* Dates and bananas are good sources of vitamins and minerals.
* Blueberries are good sources of beneficial phytonutrients and antioxidants.
* Cardamom and pure vanilla extract are natural flavoring agents that lend a sweet aromatic flavor to the recipe.
1. This ice cream is very rich in calories and fats. Though it has a good amount of minerals and vitamins, it is good to consume this occasionally in limited amounts.
2. Good source of protein and dietary fiber, both of which provide satiety and helps not to feel hungry immediately after a meal.
3. Good source of Vitamin K. It plays a very important role in depositing calcium in the bones, thus increasing the bone mineral density and also reducing the risk of osteoporosis in elderly women.
4. Provides good amounts of thiamine and vitamin B6. Both are essential for the effective utilization of food we eat and release of energy from the foods. They are also important for various metabolic functions in our body.
5. Good source of iron. It helps build the hemoglobin content in the blood, relieves fatigue and also reduces the risk of anemia.
6. Good source of magnesium that helps in relieving fatigue, relaxing the muscles, nerves and blood vessels, thus relieving the symptoms of asthma, migraine headaches, tension and soreness in muscles etc.
7. Good source of zinc that helps in improving the prostate health and lowering the risk of prostate cancer or BPH. Zinc also quickens wound healing and enhances immunity.
8. Very good source of copper and manganese, which function with other natural antioxidants in neutralizing the free radicals in our body.
9. Good source of dietary fiber. It helps in regulating the bowel functions, reducing the risk of various intestinal disorders like hemorrhoids, constipation, IBS, etc. Dietary fiber also reduces the absorption of cholesterol and also regulates the blood glucose and cholesterol levels.
Each serving of this recipe provides the following nutrients :
Calories: 30% (574 Cal); Total Fats: 37%; Saturated Fats: 29%; Carbohydrates: 30%; Proteins: 20%; Fiber: 19%; Iron: 21%; Magnesium: 24%; Phosphorus: 32%; Potassium: 20%; Sodium: 0%; Zinc: 21%; Copper: 63%; Manganese: 52%; Vitamin K: 27%; Thiamine: 12%; Vitamin B6: 15%