- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Italian Citrus Olive Oil Cake – Gluten Free (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On May 28, 2012 @ 12:00 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Vegan | No Comments
Photographer V Blak
This is one of those classic Italian cakes, which is a must try when your on your first Italian traveling adventure, like I was this past summer. I loved it so much, I thought I needed to try a “G” version. You know, gluten-free and animal product free, without loosing any of the moist goodness found in the original. Now, I love the challenge of transforming classic recipes, but I gotta be honest, I was a little skeptical about how this one would turn out. That is why I am surprisingly delighted to report this one not only workout, it was really really good, so moist and delicious.
For The Recipe
1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan
1 1/2 cups quinoa flour
1/4 + 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup walnuts, optional
1 TB freshly grated lemon and/or orange zest, plus more for garnish
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
6 TB applesauce or 2 large organic eggs
1 cup packed maple sugar, palm sugar or light-brown sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon and/or orange juice
*Xanthan is used by people who are allergic to gluten to add volume and viscosity to bread and other gluten-free baked goods.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush cake pan with oil, line bottom with parchment; oil and flour parchment and pan. If using, place walnuts in food processor and pulse until finely ground (be careful not to overprocess); set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together lemon and/or orange zest, flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and ground walnuts.
3. In a small bowl, stir applesauce, sugar, lemon and/or orange juice, and oil until combined. Stir into flour mixture and mix until combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/italian-citrus-olive-oil-cake-gluten-free-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.