- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Kabocha Squash Cakes with Ginger Cream (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On January 16, 2012 @ 12:21 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Vegan | 3 Comments
This recipe was inspired by pastry chef extraordinaire, Will Goldfarb. I read this in Bon Appetit magazine a few years ago and then altered and adapted it to become gluten and dairy free. Sometimes adaptions work and sometimes they are a bust. This time, I am extremely happy to report, it is f***ing brilliant. Yes, I am tooting my own horn. And so will you after you make this incredible dessert. It’s that good.
For the Kabocha Squash Puree
2 cups kabocha squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 cup unsweetened eden soy milk or homemade almond
1 vanilla bean, spilt lengthwise
For the Cakes
1/3 cup + 2 TB dark maple syrup
1/4 cup agave
4 TB extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup gluten free beer (i used Greens. got it at whole foods market)
1 large organic egg OR egg replacement
2/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour or other whole grain all purpose flour
1/4 cup amaranth or chestnut flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
For the Ginger Cashew Cream
1 cup raw cashews, soaked a few hours or overnight
1 TB of fresh lemon juice
dash of sea salt
4 TB light agave syrup, or more if you want it sweeter
1 inch slice fresh ginger, peeled
Instructions for the Kabocha Squash Puree
1. Combine squash and milk in heavy saucepan.
2. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean, add to saucepan.
3. Bring to simmer over medium heat, partially cover, reduce heat to low and cook until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Note: don’t walk too far away from the stove, the liquid could boil over and get messy. Take it from someone who knows ;)
5. Remove vanilla bean. Cool.
6. Place mixture in food processor and blend until smooth.
* Can be made 1 day ahead. cover and refrigerate.
Instructions for the Cakes
1. Preheat oven 375.
2. Lightly oil six 1 cup ramekins.
3. Place 1 cup squash puree in large bowl. (reserve remaining for another use).
4. Add maple, agave, oil, beer and egg to the bowl with squash puree.
5. Blend until combine.
6. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into bowl. Blend.
7. Divide batter among prepared ramekins.
8. Place ramekins on baking sheet. And put into oven.
Bake until cakes are firm, about 20 to 25 minutes. (might need to bake longer). I served them right in the ramekins. Make sure you wait a little for the cakes to cool down before serving. Top with a dollop of Ginger Cashew Cream (recipe below) and some crystallized ginger and you will be in heaven.
Instructions for the Ginger Cashew Cream
1. Drain cashews, discarding the liquid, and add cashews to high speed blender with remaining ingredients.
2. Add a few TB of fresh filtered water and blend on high until smooth. Use more water if too thick.
3. Taste and add more agave if needed.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/kabocha-squash-cakes-with-ginger-cream-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.