- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Marmol Radziner Prefab
Posted By Juli Novotny On February 8, 2009 @ 8:29 am In Architecture / Interior Design,G Living | 1 Comment
Marmol Radziner is one of my favorite designers when it comes to prefab. I love the modern style and use of natural materials. His architecture is very simple with lots of straight lines, glass and openness. The above photo is taken of his prefab in Palm Desert.
Better yet, these homes are GREEN–here’s why:
* Decks provide shade and reduce solar heat gain
* Wide doors for natural cross ventilation
* Architecture celebrates, rather than competes with, natural environment
* Indoor/outdoor enhancements, such as expansive deck spaces extend indoor living spaces to the outdoor
* Energy Star-rated Bosch kitchen appliancesâ€”including gas range or gas cooktop and oven, dishwasher, microwave, and ventilator.
* Energy Star-rated Carrier HVAC system. Gas furnace has AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating of 93%, reducing utility usage by 30%.
* “On-demand,” tankless hot water heater conserves up to 20% more energy than heating water in a conventional tank by only heating the hot water needed
* GE washing machine has 3 water levels to minimize water waste. Dryer automatically shuts off when clothes are dry
* Sub Zero refrigerator/freezer has 2 distinct temperature zones and door/drawer alarm, signaling if either is left open.
* Optional upgraded Bosch washing machine and dryer engineered to reduce energy used and emitted water and carbon dioxide waste
* FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified EcoTimber flooring comes from responsibly managed sources
* Cabinet cores fabricated from Columbia Forest’s Woodstalk fiberboard made of annually renewable wheat straw and formaldehyde-free polyurethane resin
STRUCTURAL INSULATED PANELS (SIPS)
* Reduces energy consumption by 12%-14% for heating and cooling by providing superior insulation at floors and roofs
* High R-value of 38, as compared to standard insulation with an R value of 19
* Each structural panel contains airtight, draft-free insulation and moisture barriers
* Reduces construction waste by arriving precut to the factory and ready to install
INSULATING, UV-PROTECTING GLASS
* Dual-Pane Solarban 60 Low-E Glass (U value: .28) in all windows and doors
* 39% better insulation than standard glass
* Better UV protection than standard glass, allowing only 16% penetration versus 77% for standard
* Floor-to-ceiling windows and doors capture views and natural light
* Optional window shades provide added protection
SOLAR PANELS + OTHER OPTIONS
* Grid-connected solar panels feed excess energy back into the grid by day and draw electricity from the grid by night; power providers are required to purchase extra power through metering agreements.
* Homes painted with non-toxic, low VOC Green Seal paint
* Radiant heating option allows for energy savings by directly heating mass and objects in the home, rather than the air. Occupants are heated directly and are therefore comfortable at lower thermostat settings.
* Additional green options or brand preferences available upon request
The above are just some of the green, sustainable features. Read More about Marmol’s green building techniques.
Check out their web site for more information.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/marmol-radziner-own-prefab/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.