Contributing Monkie G Monkie
Published on July 1, 2009
Imagine this, owning a micro-sized house that needs no furniture and no extra rooms. A future-forward home that gave you the feeling of living in your own sci-fi film, set on a distant planet. If this image appeals to you, welcome to your dream home: The m-ch (micro-compact home). A team of researchers and designers based in London and at the Technical University in Munich developed the m-ch as an answer to an increasing demand for short stay living for students, business people, sports and leisure use and for weekenders.
The m-ch, now in use and available throughout Europe, combines techniques for high-quality compact “living” spaces deployed in aircraft, yachts, cars and micro apartments. Its design has been informed by the classic scale and order of a Japanese tea house, combined with advanced concepts and technologies. Living in an m-ch means focusing on essentials — less is more. The use of progressive materials complements the sleek design. Quality of design, touch and use were the key objectives for the micro-compact home team, for “short-stay smart living.”
The micro-compact low e-home is all-electric and powered by photovoltaic solar panels of 8sqm with a small diameter vertical axis wind generator.
Daytime excess power is diverted into the grid. Night-time power is provided by a wind turbine and reserve batteries. Heating and air conditioning is ducted to each of the four functional spaces. Long duration LED lighting is used internally and for the external walkways.
The m-ch has a timber frame structure with anodized aluminium external cladding, insulated with polyurethane and fitted with aluminum-frame double-glazed windows and a front door with security double lock; graphics can be applied for sponsors, exhibition and business use. The m-ch measures 266cm x 266cm x 266cm. The ceiling height is 198cm and the door width is 60cm.
Inside the m-ch features:
- two compact double beds, each measuring 198cm x 107cm, with covered cushions
- storage space for bedding and cleaning equipment
- a sliding table measuring 105cm x 65cm, for dining for up to five people
- flat screen television in the living/dining space
- shower and toilet cubicle
- a kitchen area, which is fitted with electrical points and features a double hob, sink and extending tap, microwave, fridge and freezer units, three compartment waste unit, storage shelves, cutlery drawers with gentle return sprung slides and double level work surfaces
- thermostat controlled ducted warm air heating, air conditioning, water heating
- fire alarm and smoke detectors
m-ch units are available to purchase for delivery to geographical Europe at a guide price of 25,000 to 34,000 euros (subject to contract).This price includes all interior fittings. Subject to site conditions, the price excludes delivery, installation, connection to services, consultant’s fees and taxes.
The m-ch is delivered from our production centre in Austria and we advise an average of 8-10 weeks delivery from the date of order. Learn More about the M-Ch at microcompacthome.com