- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Flavor Punch Micro Greens, Apple and Fennel Salad by GreenChef Natalia
Posted By Natalia On August 28, 2012 @ 4:00 am In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Soups & Salads | 1 Comment
I love the delicate nature of micro greens and every time I get my hands on them, I’m always so impressed with their depth of flavor. Despite their daintiness, they pack a huge flavor punch! Locally, I get a mix of red mustard, arugula, mizuna, tatsoi, red cabbage, amaranth, celery and radish. Actually, what I’m finding is labeled “exotic tiny greens”, so I think they are a bit more mature than your average micro green, but who’s counting? This week, I was thrilled to find them for my book photo shoot. They make the loveliest garnishes on savory dishes.
In the summer, I’ve always been all about salads. Even before raw food, fresh salads in the summer just made sense. It’s hot out and you want to keep your kitchen and your body cool. The only problem with summer salads at the moment is that in Florida, all of my beloved organic famers are on vacation! Well, probably not vacation, but it’s too hot to grow and they’re prepping for their next season. It is a tough transition to go from huge baskets of dirt cheap, freshly picked produce to the limp, shipped from who knows where, sitting there for who knows how long, offerings as my local health food store. Oh, it’s almost painful. I do the best I can, picking through and finding what looks the freshest. This week, the fennel was looking nice and I had apples from my co-op share. With the micro greens I had left after my photo shoot, I was inspired to toss this together. It’s a really nice, fresh change from my normal daily lettuce or kale-based salads.
Serves about 2 as a dinner salad
For the Recipe
1 small fennel bulb
1 medium apple
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ of a small sweet onion
2 tablespoons cold-pressed hemp oil
1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
1 tablespoon poppy seed
1 tablespoon fennel sprigs
¾ teaspoon Himalayan salt
2 cups micro greens
1. Shave the fennel very finely using a mandoline.
2. You should end up with around 1½ cups of shaved fennel.
3. Core the apple and slice with the mandoline.
4. Cut the sliced apple into very thin strips with a knife.
5. In a large bowl, toss the fennel and apple immediately with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
6. Slice the onion very finely with the mandoline.
7. Add the onion, hemp oil, olive oil, poppy seed, fennel sprigs and salt.
8. Mix very well.
9. When ready to serve, divide the micro greens among two dishes.
10. Top each bed of greens with half of the fennel-apple salad mixture.
11. Enjoy with great pleasure!
V Blak Added Instructions
12. Sit in silence, face north, cross your legs, wear black, chew slowly, use a matt white West Elm bowl, and emit a low hum between bites.
13. Enjoy Flesh Monkies
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/microgreens-apple-fennel-salad/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.