- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Monkie Lovin’ Moist Banana Bread by GreenChef Aria Alpert
Posted By Aria Alpert On November 3, 2011 @ 12:37 am In Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Vegan | 5 Comments
Photographer V Blak
T’was a yummy morning. T’was. The dawn a breakin’, the bird’s a flyin’, the dog a wagin’, the fire a crackin’, the very ripe bananas a smellin’…love was in the air…All the elements were in place for the inspiration and creation of this recipe. A recipe I would never make if I were not visiting a special someone. A special someone, who happens to love his bananas. Me, I can’t stand em’. I know. I am in the minority. But I never liked them. As a kid maybe. My mom, who never cooked anything except her occasional overly steamed vegetables, baked potatoes and chicken soup when I was sick (Sorry Ma!), would make me mashed bananas with sour cream and honey. I know. Sounds nasty but as I kid I would crave it. Haven’t touched it since though. Not sure if I could stomach it now. No idea why I liked that mush so much. But at the time, it was Eureka. Now, I am just not a banana gal. Well, not until this morning.
About 15 minutes after I popped this thang in the oven the house started smelling and feeling like a warm, cozy embrace…of, well, bananas.
I found myself and my taste buds unexpectedly excited to taste it. Unfortunately, his oven sucks and the temperature doesn’t ever stay consistent so the bread got burned along the edges and the bottom a wee bit charred. That is why I cut it up into these cute little individual bite size pieces. A handy trick I learned from the Queen Bee Martha Stewart. Cause let me tell you honey — this moist, delicious banana bread tastes divine. Wouldn’t wanna throw it away cause it didn’t come out perfect. Yep. Another reminder of how there is no such thing as perfection and how imperfection can be perfect…
For the Banana Bread
½ cup extra virgin coconut butter, room temp
1 ¾ cup whole spelt flour
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
3 very ripe bananas
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
½ cup agave
½ cup applesauce
½ tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
1/3 cup walnuts, optional
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-by-3-inch loaf pan with butter, then dust with flour.
2. In a bowl, sift together the 1 3⁄4 cups flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl mash the bananas with the lemon juice.
3. In a blender, mix the coconut butter, agave, applesauce and vanilla. Add a third of the dry ingredients and half of the soymilk; mix. Repeat until all of the dry ingredients and soymilk are incorporated, then beat in the banana mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Bake in the middle of the oven for about one hour, or until the top of the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and let it cool completely.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/monkie-lovin-moist-banana-bread-by-greenchef-aria-alpert/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.