- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
New H&M Collection Features Organic Cotton
Posted By G Monkie On February 24, 2007 @ 3:42 am In G Living | 3 Comments
Can this really be true, one of the largest women fashion retailers is going “G” by launching Organic Cotton lines this spring?Â According to their press release, it seems to be.Â We will have to checkout all the details, but this is great news and at least they are heading in the right direction.Â Now lets find out how much of their line will be Organic and are they paying fair wages, banningÂ slave working conditions in their factories?Â Lets hope.Â (HM Press Release) This spring collection from H&M introduces a desirable fashion range for women, teens, children and babies.
The clothing line, featuring organically grown cotton, will be available in selected stores in all H&M markets from March 2007.
“These clothes are great pieces of the moment.
They combine a conscious choice of materials with the latest design, allowing you to look just as good on the outside as you feel on the inside,” says H&M’s head of design Margareta van den Bosch. Organic cotton is cotton grown without the use of harmful pesticides and synthetic fertilizers.
The annual world production of organic cotton is still very limited and represents less than one per cent of all cotton.
In order to increase the demand for organic cotton and thereby encourage cotton growers to convert to organic cultivation, H&M started to use organic cotton a few years ago.
At the start, it was included mainly in a selection of babies’ and children’s garments.
H&M has subsequently worked towards using an increased amount of organic cotton.
In addition, H&M became a member of Organic Exchange, an organisation that promotes organic cotton worldwide, in 2003.
Is H&M a Green clothing company?Â Well, we can say either way until we learn more about them from 3rd party sources, but here is what they say they are doing:
Promotion of environmental awareness among our employees and suppliers
Respect for nature:
Caution in decision-making out of respect for nature
Sustainable use of resources:
Resource conservation, recycling and reduction of waste
Products that are safe to use and harmless to the environment
Clean production chain:
Sustainable production and production methods throughout the supply chain
Clean and efficient transport with limited influence on the climate
H&M’s environmental policy
Continuous improvement is characteristic of all H&M activities. This includes our environmental effort, which is conducted within the framework of our business operations. H&M’s business concept is to give our customers unsurpassed value by offering fashion and quality at the best price. Our quality concept is based on ensuring that our customers are satisfied with our products and with H&M as a company.
To this end, we are committed to acting responsibly in our community. We also aim to co-operate with our suppliers on improving the social and environmental standards in the factories that manufacture H&M clothing, thereby contributing to sustainable development in these areas. To achieve this goal, H&M has adopted the following principles.
* always consider the health and safety of our employees. By adopting the precautionary principle, we will continuously update our restrictions against the use of environmentally and health hazardous chemicals in the production of our garments and other products.
* continuously update ourselves on environmental news and legislation. We will not be content to follow existing environmental legislation, but will in certain areas do more than the law requires.
* conduct our business in a manner that utilises natural resources as efficiently as possible.
* develop new and continuously improve existing environmental requirements concerning the purchase of products and services.
* train, inform and motivate our employees to participate and take responsibility, thereby making environmental work an integral part of H&M’s daily routines.
* specify to our suppliers our position regarding behaviour towards the environment and human rights and follow up to ensure that our suppliers improve their operations in line with these requirements.
(all photos by H&M)
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/new-hm-collection-features-organic-cotton/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.