Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on August 18, 2011
If you like egg nog… you are gonna love this. Frozen vegan nog! YUM! It’s incredibly delicious on it’s own or scooped on top of warm apple crisps, pecan or pumpkin pies. If you don’t want the alcohol you can leave it out but…it’s extra tasty with a little kick!
For the Recipe
2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
4 cups homemade almond milk
1 whole nutmeg, cracked
1/2 vanilla bean, sliced and seeded
1/2 cup palm or coconut sugar
1/4 cup agave
pinch of coarse sea salt
2-4 TB cognac or rum, depending on how much of a kick you want (optional)
1. Toast grated nutmeg in a skillet over medium heat, 1–2 minutes.
2. Remove pan from heat; set aside.
3. Heat almond milk, cracked nutmeg and seed from the vanilla bean as well as pod in a 4-qt. saucepan until it just begins to simmer.
4. Remove from heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
5. Add sugar and agave, whisk until combine. Cover and steep another 10 minutes.
6. Pour through a fine strainer into a large bowl.
7. Whisk in toasted nutmeg and chill in refrigerator a few hours or overnight.
8. Place container you will be using to put the finished Ice Cream in, in the freezer.
9. When mixture is chilled, whisk in cognac or rum if using, until combine.
10. Pour into ice cream maker; then, when done, transfer to the chilled airtight container.
11. Freeze until set before serving.