- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Rich and Sweet, Poached Pears with Vanilla Bean, Ginger & Macadamia Maple Cream
Posted By Julia Gartland On February 2, 2012 @ 12:12 am In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Raw,Recipes / Vegan | No Comments
Photographer: Julia Gartland
This is one of my favorite times of year in New York. For me, everything right now has to be creamy, warm and filled with ginger. That doesn’t mean I don’t still drink green smoothies and kale salads, but when it comes to dessert, it has to be fruit-filled and warm.
I became obsessed with all the mini pears I saw around the greenmarkets. Anyone who reads this knows I have an affinity for anything miniature or especially tiny in size. This may be because I relate to them, being barely 5’1 myself. The little guys have to be recognized sometimes, so I thought I’d treat these little pears just as if they were big ones, and poach them. It resulted in a creamy, sweet and Autumn dessert with just enough of a napoleon complex to be big & bold in flavor.
Cook time: 30 minutes, Serves: 2-4
For the Recipe
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
5 cups water
1 3/4 cup coconut sugar
4-5 mini forelle pears
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoon coconut cream/span>
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Combine the water, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla bean seeds and pod in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Peel the pear skin and slice off the bottom each pear to create a flat base.
3. Reduce heat to keep poaching liquid at a bare simmer and add the pears, laying them on their sides so they are completely covered.
4. Once pears are tender (you stick a fork in easily), let them cool in the poaching liquid.
5. In the meantime, in a blender or food processor, combine macadamia nuts, more lemon zest, maple syrup and coconut cream. Blend until smooth. Depending on your preferred consistency, add more coconut cream for a thinner sauce.
6. Serve pears warm, drizzled in maple syrup and macadamia cream. Garnish with more lemon and ginger zest, and chopped walnuts.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/poached-pears-maplecream/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.