- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Six-Seed Spelt Soda Bread (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On November 15, 2011 @ 12:14 am In Bite This,Breads,Full Recipe List | 4 Comments
This six seed spelt soda bread is almost like a corn bread in its sweetness and density. It’s also just as easy to make. Try this one out for your next party, guest will love it with a little olive oil and sea salt sprinkled on top.
Feel free to experiment with other combinations of seeds you prefer or what you have on hand. If a wheat allergy isn’t a problem with you, you can also make this with whole-wheat flour in place of the whole spelt flour and unbleached all-purpose flour in place of the white spelt flour.
For the Recipe
2 1/2 tablespoons EACH sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, flax seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 3/4 cups white spelt flour
2 cups whole spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk or homemade nut milk
1 TB fresh lemon juice
a bit of extra milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400F.
2. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
3. In a small bowl combine all the seeds and set aside.
4. Sift the flours, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
5. Stir in all but 2 tablespoons of the seeds.
6. Mix the lemon juice with the milk in separate bowl.
7. Make a well in the flour, pour in the lemon juice milk mixture, and stir until the dough just comes together. If you need to add an extra splash of milk because the dough is too dry, you can.
8. Place the dough on a lightly floured baking sheet and mark it with a deep cross across the top, cutting two-thirds of the way through the loaf with a serrated knife.
9. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the remaining seeds, making sure plenty of seeds make it down into the cracks.
10. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the bread is golden crusted on top and bottom (you may want to move the oven rack up for the last 15 minute if you need more color on the top of the loaf).
11. Cool on a wire rack.
12. Makes a single loaf.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/six-seed-spelt-soda-bread-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.