Contributing Monkie Omid
Published on February 17, 2009
Sticky Date Lovers with Upside Down Sugar Cane Whipped Cream (raw)
Recipe by Omid
This exotic sounding Sticky Date Lovers with Upside Down Sugar Cane Whipped Cream dessert tastes equally exotic and is a perfect choice to end a perfect, raw and healthy meal. It has a rich and naturally sweet taste with a nutty flavor and melt-in-mouth texture. With a rich taste and an exotic combination of nuts and flavors, this is sure to be a lovely finish to your meals.
Serves about 4 people
For the Sticky Date Cake:
12 dried dates, seeds removed and soaked in ¼ cup coconut water
4 Tbsp walnuts, crushed
2 Tsp kudzu, diluted in 4 Tsp of pure water
¼ cup blanched almonds, soaked
2 Tbsp of coconut butter
Step 1 Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Step 2 Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until a smooth and silky paste is obtained.
Step 3 Divide the above mixture equally between four 5 cm X 6 cm (diameter X height) molds.
Step 4 Cover and set aside for about 2 hours to set.
For the Upside Down Whipped Cream:
1 Tsp lime juice
1 Tsp lime zest
½ cup cashew nuts
2 Tbsp of dried organic coconut, shredded
2 Tbsp of sugar cane or raw honey
Step 1 Carefully grate about 1 Tsp of the lime peel, taking care not to grate any of the white membranes underneath the peel. Set aside.
Step 2 Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until a fluffy mixture is obtained.
Step 3 Fold the lime zest in gently.
Step 4 Divide the above mixture equally between four 5 cm X 6 cm (diameter X height) molds.
Step 5 Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
For the Garnish:
2 Tbsp raw honey
Step 1 Peel 2 oranges from top to bottom thinly without breaking it. Gently twist it with your hands to make it look like a spider’s web.
Step 2 Dip the orange peel in raw honey.
Mounting the Masterpiece Together
Step 1 Drizzle raw organic honey on four plates making a square.
Step 2 Place the Upside down Whipped Cream carefully (one on each plate) in the center of the honey square.
Step 3 Carefully place one Sticky Date Cake on top of each Upside down Whipped Cream.
Step 4Now, garnish this delicious dessert with orange candy spider webs on top.
*Coconut butter is solidified raw organic coconut oil (coconut oil easily solidifies at colder temperature).
*All the things can be prepared in advance, but is best mounted just before serving.
*Tastes best when served chilled.
Sticky Date Lovers with Upside Down Sugar Cane Whipped Cream is a completely raw dessert made from raw and fresh ingredients. This delicious raw dessert is sure to tingle your taste buds. It is easy to prepare and can be prepared up to a day in advance, refrigerated, and assembled just before serving.
Dates are soaked in coconut water and blended with other ingredients, which gives this dessert a rich natural chocolate color without any artificial colors.
Very little amount of sweeteners are used and all the sweetness and flavors in this dessert are from the natural ingredients.
The cashew nuts, walnuts and almonds used in this dessert gives this a very rich flavor, and not just that these are very good sources of protein, good fats, vitamins and minerals.
The upside down whipped cream is mildly sweet with a hint of tanginess, has a nutty flavor and a silky mouth feel. Finally, the candied orange peel is the ‘icing on the top’. Artistically arranged with a bright orange color, it has a complex combination of flavors – sweetness, tanginess and tartness.
1. This dessert is very rich in calories and all other major nutrients.
2. Good source of carbs, protein, fats and dietary fiber, it is very rich and filling. But it is also very high in fats and saturated fats, so make sure you enjoy this but consume small portions only.
3. Moderate source of Vitamin E, which functions as a natural antioxidant and along with copper and manganese, is very effective in neutralizing the free radicals in the body, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular, degenerative and anti-inflammatory diseases and a variety of cancers.
4. Moderate source of Vitamin K, which has a role in depositing calcium in the bones, thus increasing the bone mineral density and also reducing the risk of osteoporosis in elderly women.
5. Moderate source of B-group vitamins like niacin, vitamin B6, and folic acid, all of which are essential for energy production, and also as cofactors for many metabolic reactions.
6. Very good source of minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorus potassium and zinc, all of which are essential to maintain the normal metabolic activities. These minerals also act as cofactors in many chemical reactions in various metabolic processes like detoxification, energy production, respiration, etc.
7. Good source of dietary fiber, which has a role in regulating the bowel functions, and reducing the risk of various intestinal disorders like hemorrhoids, constipation, IBS, etc. Dietary fiber also reduces the absorption of cholesterol and also regulates the blood glucose and cholesterol levels.
Each serving of this dessert provides the following nutrients :
Calories: 37% (680 Cal); Total Fats: 61%; Saturated Fats: 75%; Carbohydrates: 30%; Proteins: 22%; Fiber: 35%; Iron: 19%; Magnesium: 41%; Potassium: 25%; Sodium: 0%; Zinc: 20%; Copper: 97%; Manganese: 79%; Vitamin E: 11%; Vitamin K: 15%; Vitamin B6: 20%; Folic acid: 10%; Phytosterols: 30%.