- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Walnut Date Bread (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On January 1, 2012 @ 12:19 am In Bite This,Breads,Recipes / Desserts,Recipes / Vegan | 5 Comments
I LOVE finding new foodie things at shee shee gourmet food shops. I immediately pop the item into my basket, full of excited inspiration and quickly get my ass into the kitchen to start experimenting! This time, I found a box of gluten free Sweet Potato Flour. I had never seen this kind of flour before. Wow! Not to mention sweet potatoes happen to be one of my favorite foods. The bread came out moist and delicious with the subtly sweetness that only sweet potatoes naturally ensue. My BF used it to make a savory sandwich with kale, black olives, tomatoes, sea salt and olive oil. I poo pooed his creation at first, thinking the flavors wouldn’t work together. But boy oh boy was I wrong!
For the Recipe
2 cups Zócalo Sweet Potato Heritage flour
1/2 cup maple sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup apple sauce (or if u ain’t a vegan use 2 organic eggs!)
1/3 cup coconut butter, melted
3/4 cup homemade almond milk or unsweetened soy
2 tsp vanilla Extract
1 cup soaked date, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 cup walnuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TB maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Soak dates in hot filtered water, about 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl add walnuts, cinnamon and maple syrup. Mix to coat.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together applesauce (or eggs), oil, milk and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir until almost fully combined.
5. Drain dates and stir into mixture.
6. Pour into oiled baking dish and sprinkle the top with walnuts.
7. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from the center when tested.
8. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/sweet-potato-walnut-date-bread/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.