- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Wheat Free Oat Barley Scones Topped with Organic Apricot Jam (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On November 15, 2012 @ 12:21 am In Bite This,Breads,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Vegan | 6 Comments
Photographer V Blak
I love cookbooks. Especially the ones with all those pretty pictures. I fall into those beautiful images and then dig into those recipes. If you can snap a pretty picture, you have me.
This recipe was inspired by a beautiful photo and recipe in a new cookbook by Kim Boyce, called “Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole Grain Flours”. I adapted her recipe to be wheat-free and vegan. In other words, “G” approved. These scones are really best eaten the day of baking them. But if you got leftovers, I would recommend toasting them the next day. Either way, yumminess…. :)
For The Recipe
1 1/2 cups barley flour
1 cup oat flour
1/4 cup maple, palm or dark brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 cup cold coconut butter (put it in freezer until solid)
1/2 cup unsweetened soy or homemade nut milk
1 TB freshly squeeze lemon juice
3 TB applesauce or 1 large organic egg
1/2 cup organic fruit jam (any jam will do)
1. Place a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together milk of choice, lemon juice and applesauce or egg until thoroughly combined.
4. Cut coconut butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add to dry mixture. Rub butter between your fingers, breaking it into smaller bits. Continue rubbing until pieces range from rice grain to flattened pea size.
5. Mix milk mixture into dry mixture and mix until barely combined.
6. Transfer dough to a well-floured surface. If dough is too sticky to handle, add more barley flour. You may need to add up 1 cup. Dust with flour and fold it together a few times. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Flour your hands and pat each piece of dough into a disk about 3/4 inch thick and 7 inches in diameter.
7. Cover disks with jam.
8. Use a sharp knife to slice circle into 8 triangular wedges on baking sheet, leaving a few inches between them. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
9. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Scones are ready when tops are golden brown. Transfer scones to cooling rack by sliding a thin spatula
10. Serve with berries :)
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/wheat-free-oat-barley-scones-topped-with-organic-apricot-jam-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.