- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Winter Spiced Chili With Salt and Peppercorn Biscuits
Posted By Julia Gartland On November 14, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Full Recipe List,Recipes / Main Courses,Recipes / Vegan | 1 Comment
Photographer: Julia Gartland
I don’t know when it happened, but ever since Autumn began I have had an obsession with chili. I started ordering it from Curly’s Lunch, and became shamelessly addicted to the very cheap and hearty meal. Feeling intimidated to re-create one of my favorite cold weather meals, I knew I had to throw in some special flavors. The white corn kernels, as time consuming as they are, and the nutmeg make this stew really special. In the winter months, like most, I crave warm, filling one-pot meals that I can make on a Sunday and eat throughout the week. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how long this batch will last!
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minute | Serves: 6
For the Winter Spiced Chili
1 1/2 cup whole corn kernels, dried
1 can kidney beans, with liquid
2 cans stewed tomato, whole
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 cup carrot, roughly chopped
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole sweet onion, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon fleur de sel
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons red chile flakes
Dash of cumin
Cook Time: 25 minute | Serves: 6
For the White Peppercorn Biscuits
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthum gum
1 teaspoon ceylon white pepper, fresh ground
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel
3 1/2 tablespoons soy-free earth balance, chilled
1/2 cup rice, almond or hemp milk
Instructions For The Winter Spiced Chili
1. Cook 1.5 cups dried white corn kernels in 4-5 cups water, simmer for 2 hours.
2. Strain and set aside. Add garlic, onion and olive oil to a large saucepan until browned. Add both cans of tomatoes.
3. Stew tomatoes with chopped carrot and zucchini for 20 minutes. Add pinto beans, kidney beans, and white corn kernels.
4. Add all spices and mix well. Simmer mixture for 20-30 minutes, or until all ingredients are tender.
Instructions For The White Peppercorn Biscuits
1. Sift all dry ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Cut in chilled earth balance with non-dairy milk. Mix well until it becomes a sticky dough.
3. Either shape into biscuits, or use greased pastry cutters to hold the dough in place. Top with freshly ground white and brown peppercorn, and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/winter-spiced-chili/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.