Contributing Monkie Aria Alpert
Published on January 31, 2011
Photographer V Blak
My friends are freezing in New York City and since they are buried up to their chins in snow, I thought I would try to warm them up with my favorite cauliflower soup. This is a smooth, rich and very flavorful soup. I paired it with a side of Roasted Sweet Potato fries. You can use them for dipping or go crazy like my BF and just toss them in for a bit of color. Enjoy Monkies and keep warm!
For the Winter White Cauliflower Soup
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil or coconut butter
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
large pinch of red pepper flakes
1⁄2 cup white wine
1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable stock or filtered water
4 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
3⁄4 to 1 cup coconut milk, homemade nut milk or unsweetened soy milk
1 TB fresh lemon juice
Garnish: 1 cup reserved cauliflower, cut into small florets
For the Roasted Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
1 TB extra-virgin olive oil
1 TB agave or maple syrup
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
few dashes of cayenne
nice pinch of sea salt
Instructions For Winter White Cauliflower Soup
1. In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat the oils over moderate heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower, reserving 1 cup for the garnish.
4. Season with salt, pepper and pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes longer.
5. Add the white wine and reduce by half.
6. Add just enough vegetable stock to cover the cauliflower; add the thyme and bay leaves.
7. Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes, then discard the bay leaves.
8. Remove 2 cups of the cooking liquid and set aside.
9. In a blender, puree the cauliflower mixture in batches.
10. Add the reserved cooking liquid as needed if the mixture is too thick.
11. Once all the soup has been pureed, return it to a clean pot and place over low heat.
12. Stir in the milk of choice, adding more or less to reach desired consistency.
13. Taste and add a dash of salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if needed.
14. Add reserved cauliflower florets to soup and cook until soft. About 5 minutes.
Serve with Roasted Sweet Potatoes.
Instructions For Roasted Sweet Potatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 450.
2. Wash and clean potatoes.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, paprika, cayenne and sea salt. and set aside.
4. Cut the potatoes into medium “french fries”.
5. Toss the potatoes in the oil and spices until well coated.
6. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for 25 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fries are golden and crisp.
8. Serve immediately.