- G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green - http://gliving.com -
Yelllow Sunshine Curry Kissed Split Pea Soup (Bite This)
Posted By Aria Alpert On May 21, 2012 @ 12:49 am In Bite This,Full Recipe List,Recipes / Soups & Salads,Recipes / Vegan | No Comments
Photographer V Blak
Sunny California is feeling like a distant memory as we settle into our new home, here in
sunny rainy windy and oh yes, chilly Brooklyn. I am loving it here though. However, spring has definitely not sprung so I have been rocking out with a bunch of warming soups and this Curry Split Pea Soup has been one of the favorites. If you want extra heat, add a dollop of spicy sun-dried tomato spread on top of you greens. I served it this way to my BF. His mouth is still on fire. Sorry monkie, but the touch of red looks so pretty in your picture…. :)
For The Recipe
1 1/2 cup yellow split peas, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
1 medium winter squash, peeled/seeded and cut into medium dice * sub sweet potato if you can’t find any winter squash
1 dried smoked chipotle chili
1 2-inch chunk of fresh ginger, cut into 3 slices
8 cups filtered water
1 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
2 TB coconut butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, cut into small dice
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (use less if you don’t want a lot of heat!)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 TB mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 TB mellow miso, dissolved in 2 TB warm water
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 TB freshly grated ginger root
1 cup frozen or fresh organic green peas
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, chopped
a nice handful of sprouts or baby lettuce
1. Drain and rinse the soaked yellow spilt peas until the water is clear.
2. In medium pot combine spilt peas, chili, ginger, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and 5 cups water over high heat.
3. Bring to boil and skim off any white foam that has formed.
4. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered, for about an hour or until the split peas are soft and have broken down.
5. Add 1 tsp salt. Stir. Discard chili, ginger, cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
6. Warm coconut butter in saucepan and add onion, garlic, squash, celery and carrot.
7. Sauté about 10 minutes over medium heat, or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
8. Stir in cumin, coriander, tumeric and cayenne.
9. Saute a few minutes then add vegetables to the pot of spilt peas.
10. Add mirin to vegetable saucepan along with 1 cup water and cook until all the brown goodness is cooked into the liquid.
11. Add to spilt pea pot.
12. In batches, carefully blend the soup in high speed blender and add back to pot.
13. Stir in the frozen or fresh green peas.
14. Dissolve miso in 2 TB warm water and add to spilt peas. Stir in lemon juice and grated ginger.
15. Taste. Add more salt if necessary.
16. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley, a nice handful of sprouts or micro greens and a dash of cayenne pepper.
Article printed from G Living | Dark Twisted Space Monkies Go Green: http://gliving.com
URL to article: http://gliving.com/yelllow-sunshine-curry-kissed-split-pea-soup-bite-this/
Copyright © 2010 G Living | Modern Green Lifestyle Blog (Darker Side Of Green). All rights reserved.