Have you or your relative gone through anxiety before? If yes, how was the experience? I guess bad. It can be said to be normal in life, especially if one is surrounded by chaos and worldly pressures. While it may be taken as a bad life part, anxiety teaches you how to avoid some risks and bring danger awareness to you.
It may also motivate you to be prepared and remain organized in your life endeavours. However, when you realize it just hit, it’d be best to take immediate action before anything worse happens.
Don’t wait until its consequences grow to the extent of not being manageable. A quick solution needs to be implemented to reduce the effects caused, especially to people experiencing free floating anxiety. This article discusses six ways for treating generalized anxiety disorder. Keep reading to learn more.
Techniques for Easing Generalized Anxiety Disorder
To eliminate the GAD symptoms, medication is relevant alongside other methods for quicker effect. You General Practitioner; GP may decide to give habit-forming drug types for alleviating anxiety. The medicine usually is issued as needed or for a short period. Various anxiety drugs serve different purposes, for example, some are created for curing as others mainly prevent. They include;
- Antidepressants- In most cases, doctors prescribe SSRIs- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for curing or general anxiety disorder prevention. For chronic anxiety, the SSRIs used are Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Citalopram, and fluoxetine. More others may be like duloxetine, venlafaxine can also be used for the same purpose. Using antidepressants is relevant for long term use and safer for the user.
- Antihistamines- They are used for mild cases, also called performance anxiety. It could be before anxiety triggering events. Drugs like hydroxyzine or propranolol are useful for reducing the symptoms in instances such as a few minutes before giving a speech to a crowd.
- Anticonvulsants- They are pregabalin and gabapentin, which research shows are showing a significant impact on relieving free floating anxiety signs and symptoms. When under the dosage given, it’d be wise if you had several appointments with your GP for progress checking. Adjustments should be made where necessary to avoid worsening the situation.
2- Exposure Therapy
What situations make you anxious? Is it heights, large water bodies, or some scary insects? Someone may decide to drive for five hours instead of using the bridge to cross the road. Others intentionally miss sessions to avoid speaking in public. Reducing this kind of anxiety is easier when exposed to it as the name states. The secret behind it is making the situation create fear a habit, repeatedly obtaining a higher sense of control over it. It can take two days with the doctor applying systematic desensitization. It means gradual exposure, especially starting with milder threats that won’t leave you passed out. This helps master skills for panic control, confidence building, and challenging fears.
3- Cognitive-behavioral treatment
Cognitive refers to how thoughts affect anxiety, whereas behavioral is your actions towards the situations causing anxiety. Primarily, our thoughts greatly affect our emotions. Don’t think it’s your situation determining your feelings, but what you perceive about that state. Opinions vary depending on believes, expectations, and attitudes. Having understood that, let’s now tackle how the problem can be solved through therapy sessions. Your thoughts should be challenged in the ways below;
- Pinpointing your negative thoughts– People with GAD see things to be more dangerous than they really are. Therefore, you should identify what scares you most to your specialist, and a solution will be given.
- Challenge the negativity– Here, you’ll be taught how to counter negative thoughts. Prepare to answer questions about your negative predictions, frightening thoughts with evidence, and any unnecessities in your mind. Tips for challenging such thoughts will be given for implementation.
- Substituting the negatives with the actual thoughts– After the above two, you’ll now be shown the need to replace the irrational and negative minds with positivity and more accurate thoughts.
Did you know that physical activity eases depression and anxiety? Your body releases the feel-good hormones, such as the brain chemicals that boost your well-being. Working out regularly shapes your body increasing confidence making you feel great about your appearance. Going to the gym or field to jog gives a chance for social interaction and new knowledge that may help reduce free floating anxiety and other negative emotions.
5- Get anxiety bursting habits
Do you care about your lifestyle? You need to get started by staying healthy. It means eating a balanced diet and adopting other better behavior for keeping the GAD symptoms at bay. For example, limit caffeine intake to prevent inducing heart pounding, insomnia, and trembling. Also, get enough sleep to improve your stress, managing ability, and uprightness. Drinking alcohol increases anxiety symptoms, and nicotine is even a worse stimulant that results in higher stress levels. Therefore, try and avoid altogether.
6- Apply relaxing methods
Making your body relaxed and ready to release any tension is essential for battling anxiety. If you practice deep breathing, maybe during yoga or meditation, don’t you think it’ll do you better? Yes, it will. Anxious individuals tend to breathe faster, but here you’ll learn to slow the breathing rate and reverse the symptoms caused by harder breathing. Other techniques include meditation and progressive muscle stimulation.
We all agree that could be a regular thing, however, it tempers with your ability to function normally. It’s characterized by tension, nervousness, fear, and worry. It can’t be linked to phobia because anxiety may paint your entire life. On the other hand, the phobia is mainly linked to a specific fear for something. That’s why you need a quick fix to reduce the symptoms GAD comes with. It may seem less intense compared to other attacks. , remember given time, it can disorient your normal life by draining your physical plus mental being. Please be advised to take care of whatever worry you may be having, be it more intense than it looks or not. Be sure the end result is similar.