Aluminium is one of the most abundant metals in the world, and it is widely used for making kitchen utensils like pots, pans, etc. It is lightweight, malleable, durable, and incredibly inexpensive metal.
Due to its abundance, manufacturers produce a massive number of pans and pots for domestic use annually. These pans are perfect for cooking because they heat the foods evenly and ensure safety.
However, aluminium pans become greasy, stained, and lose their shiny natural appearance with time. It happens mainly due to cooking food at a high flame or metal’s reaction with oxygen in the air.
If you face the same problem, there is no need to worry. There are plenty of cleaning methods that you can apply to aluminium pans to restore their bright shiny look.
Instead of using harsh chemicals on the pans, you can use some household items for preparing cleaning solutions. These solutions will clear the grease and stains on pans and make them just like the new ones.
- 1 Simple cleaning method
- 2 Alternative cleaning methods
- 3 With baking soda and peroxide
- 4 With apples
- 5 With boiling water and salt
- 6 With lemon juice and vinegar
- 7 With special cleansers
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
Simple cleaning method
People usually hesitate to use harsh chemicals on new aluminium pans because it can affect their shine and make them dull. If you are one of them, you can use different household items for cleaning aluminium pans.
For cleaning the greasy and stained aluminium pans, the ingredients you need are as follows;
- Soapy water
- Microfiber towel
- Cream of tartar
- Silver polish for shine
- Wash the pan with warm water.
- Take a sponge and dip it in a soapy solution.
- Scrub the pan with a rough side of the sponge to remove grease and stains.
- After scrubbing the pan, rewash it with warm water.
- Take a bowl and add two tablespoons of cream of tartar.
- Stir the mixture well.
The tartar solution will help get rid of grease and stains on the pans and restore the shiny appearance.
- Put the mixture in the pan.
- Boil the mixture for 10-15 minutes at least.
- Remove the mixture from the pan.
- Scrub the pan surface with a sponge and soapy water.
- Rinse with warm water.
After rinsing the pan, you will see that the greasy and stained surface will turn clear, bright, and shiny.
- Take a paper towel or microfiber cloth.
- Dry the rinsed pan completely.
You can apply silver polish on the surface of the aluminium pan to give it an extra bright appearance.
Alternative cleaning methods
If you don’t like to apply tartar cream mixture to your pan, you can switch to several other cleaning methods that are way more effective and interesting.
With baking soda and peroxide
To clean the aluminium with baking soda and peroxide, all you have to do is;
- Take a bowl and add two tablespoons of baking soda.
- Pour some water and stir it well.
- Add two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the surface of the pan.
- Leave the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Take a sponge and dip it in soapy water.
- Scrub the pan and rinse with warm water.
- Take a paper towel and dry the pan.
Hydrogen peroxide paste is a great option to eliminate the grease and stubborn stains on the aluminium surface. However, adding baking soda to it becomes more effective and gives the pan a pleasant smell.
You can use this method regularly or once a week to clean the aluminium pans and pots.
Apple peel is an exciting ingredient because it contains acid that removes the stains and greasy layer on aluminium pans and gives them a sweet, pleasant smell.
- Take the stained aluminium pan and pour water into it.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Add the peel of the apples.
- Leave the peel in water for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the peels and water and let the pan cool down.
- Take a sponge and dip it in soapy water.
- Scrub the pan with a rough side of the sponge.
- Rinse it with warm water.
With boiling water and salt
The solution of salt and waterworks incredibly well for cleaning the tough grease stains on the aluminium pan. People who are allergic to the cleaners’ smell can use this method without a doubt.
To clean the pan;
- Pour water into the stained pan.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of salt.
- Boil the water for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the water and let the pan cool down.
- Dip the sponge in soapy water and scrub the pan on its rough side.
- Rinse the pan with warm water and dry thoroughly with a paper towel to avoid water stains.
You can add aluminium foil to the solution as an additional ingredient to give the pan a clean and shiny look.
With lemon juice and vinegar
Lemon juice and vinegar possess fantastic cleaning abilities. Because of their acidic nature, both these ingredients effectively eliminate the tough stains.
To make the solution:
- Pour water into the aluminium pan.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar and two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Stir them well.
Boil the solution for 15-20 minutes, and then pour it out. Let the pan cool down and scrub it with a sponge and soapy water. Rinse the pan with warm water and dry with the help of a paper towel.
Except for cleaning the aluminium pans and pots, you can use this solution to clean the aluminium windows, frames, and other household items.
With special cleansers
If you have a new aluminium pan and you don’t want to apply home cleansers to it, you can consider some special aluminium cleansers available on the market. Though, these cleansers are costly.
These special cleaners will help you get rid of tough grease stains and make the pan’s surface clear and shiny.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you increase the lifespan of aluminium pans?
The aluminium pans lose their brightness and become dull and discoloured over time. This dullness decreases their lifespan. To avoid such issues, there are plenty of cleaning methods that you can use.
The best way to enhance the life of aluminium pans is to soak them in soapy water before cleaning. It helps to clean the grime and grease easily. Make sure you don’t leave the pans for more than 10-15 minutes.
Moreover, you can use household cleaners like lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda, and peroxide for effective cleaning and a long lifespan.
What things should you avoid while cleaning aluminium pans?
The things that you should avoid while cleaning aluminium pans are written below;
- Do not use harsh chemicals on aluminium pans.
- Avoid scratching with a knife or fork.
- Do not use rough stainless steel scrubbers for cleaning the grease on pans.
- Do not leave the stained pan overnight in the sink.
What is the best cleaner for aluminium pans?
Vinegar solution is best for cleaning aluminium pans. Vinegar in water becomes acidic, removes the grease layer and tough stains easily, and makes the pan shiny and good-looking.
Pour the vinegar solution into the pan and heat until it boils. Let the pan cool down and wash it with a sponge and soapy water. Dry the pan with a paper towel to avoid water stains.
Why do the aluminium pans turn black?
The main reasons for aluminium pans to turn black are;
- Cooking food at a high temperature
- Excess oxygen reaction
Both these reasons make the pans dull and discoloured. To prevent the pans from turning black, you can use common household ingredients to make cleansers or buy expensive aluminium cleansers from the market.
Undoubtedly, aluminium pans are famous worldwide because they heat the foods evenly and prevent burning.
Though, these pans become dark, stained, and greasy over time. There are plenty of cleaning methods to clean these pans that you can use.
You can make lemon and vinegar solution, baking soda and peroxide solution, or apple solution to clean the stains entirely and have a pleasant smell.
If you are allergic to the smell of cleaners, you can clean the pan with boiling water and salt because it is an odourless and effective cleaning method.