Do you know any secrets behind nutrients acquired from the liver? Not many foods we eat are worthy of being termed as superfoods for their nutrient densities, but the liver is among them. It was once a valued food source. Unfortunately, it went out of favor by people. What might have happened, making it have a decrease in consumers?
The liver is an essential organ in animals and humans. It’s actually among the best internal body organs functioning as a food processor from the gut, glucose, irons, and vitamin storage, filter for drugs, and toxins removal. Earlier, liver plus other organ meats were the most favored for meals. Still, today most people prefer muscle meats more than organ products. While the liver’s popularity is declining, it’s among the most nutrient-dense foods in the world.
A majority of people look up to fruits and vegetables for nutrients such as minerals and vitamins, not knowing how far the liver surpasses all that when mentioning nutrition value. A very small amount of liver has numerous nutrients, providing 100% RDI (Reference Daily Intake), more so proteins, and very low calories. It’s also affordable and readily available in butcheries and grocery stores. Though most animal livers can be consumed, the fewer common sources are chicken, cow, pig, duck, and lamb.
Are you a liver hater or lover? We can say individuals can be grouped into three categories: the minority liver lovers, a more significant number who tried and disliked it, the vast majority that never attempted but is fully convinced they won’t like it.
From the three groups, where do you belong? You can fall into whichever group depending on various aspects, including the means of preparation. In most cases, the liver is despised, but if well-cooked, you can turn from being a liver hater to a lover. So, let start learning How to Cook Beef Liver at home.
|Vitamin B12||3460%||Red blood cells formation and DNA helps improve brain function|
|Vitamin A||860-1100%||Essential for normal vision helps other organs, including heart and kidney in proper functioning, contribute to immune function and reproduction.|
|Riboflavin B2||210-260%||Good for cellular development, it again helps in converting food to energy.|
|Folate B9||65%||Plays a significant role in DNA formation and cell growth|
|Iron||80%||Helps transport oxygen, good for menstruating women, it’s the most absorbed by the liver|
|Copper||1620%||Help maintain healthy blood vessels, immune function, and nerves|
- 1 Pound of beef liver
- 3 tablespoon pasture butter
- 1 large onion
- 4 bacon strips
Process of cooking beef liver?
- Start by unwrapping it and laying it flat on paper towels. You may slice it up.
- Place the liver in a milk bowl or dish and let it soak for 30-60 minutes. Do this for removing the bitter taste.
- Generously salt and pepper the liver, then place it at room temperature as you handle the other ingredients. Pat it dry.
- Dice the bacon and fry in two butter tablespoons in a sizeable skillet until it becomes crispy. After that, get the bacon bits from the frying pan and drain using paper towels. Have the grease and butter in the pan.
- Roughly slice the onion into similar sizes for a better bite. Fry the bacon and butter until it softens.
- Add garlic and wait for 30 seconds.
- Has the heat turned to medium before adding the last butter spoon?
- Once the butter melts, add the liver. Let it cook until the edges begin turning from red to grey. Flip when the borders are around two or three millimeters.
- Fry that side for two to three minutes until you get satisfied that it’s ready. Check by cutting to see if it’s still red. If so, keep flipping until it cooks properly.
- Place the liver on a plate and toss the bacon smother it.
- Ready to serve.
Beef liver is a food source with a wide range of nutritional benefits. It has 100% RDI with a lot of proteins and fewer calories. Moreover, it’s a great provider of iron, copper, vitamins B12, A, and Folate. It’s cheap and readily available in food stores like groceries and butcheries. Most people may be disliking the liver because of improper preparation, making it have a bad taste.
Well, you can confidently use the above recipe for preparing a tasty and flavorful beef liver dish. The above method is going to turn haters into liver converts. You simply set everything ready, soak it in milk for 30minutes, flip it till it cooks, and there you go. Remember, don’t overcook it.
Also Read: Vitamix Ice Cream Recipe