Top Electrical Kitchen Safety Checks You Should Know

Electrical issues in the kitchen are one of the most common causes of a house fire. The sad thing is that fires don’t just damage your home, they can also cost lives and many of those that die every year in house fires didn’t need to. They simply needed a working smoke alarm and the following kitchen safety checks.

Get An Inspection

Before you do anything else you should get your local and reputable Sydney electrician to check your home for you. This will save you from getting a nasty shock due to bad wiring and they will detect issues that increase the risk of a fire starting.

They can also offer advice to help make your property safer.

Watch For Overloading

In the kitchen, there should be a number of different circuits. For example, each of the following should have its own dedicated circuit with nothing else on it. You’ll want to check this is the case.

  • Refrigerator
  • Oven
  • Stove
  • Freezer
  • Dishwasher
  • Any electrical heater

If they aren’t on their own circuit then the electrical circuit could be overloaded. This creates heat in the wires, allowing them to melt and potentially cause short circuits and fires.

Avoid Extension Cords

Extension cords should never be necessary as the socket should be situated where you need it. If this isn’t the case then your electrician can add or move sockets to suit your needs.

You should note that current regulations mean this is not something you can do yourself.

You may not realize it but an extension cable that remains coiled allows heat to build up rapidly. In short, it is likely to burst into flames and give you an issue.

Additional Sockets

The easiest way to get additional sockets is to plug in an extension lead with multiple sockets. However, this is also an excellent way to overload a circuit. Each circuit should have no more than eight outlets. But, if you don’t know the layout in your kitchen you may be adding four sockets to two different plugs via extension leads and still have six other sockets plugged in, massively overloading the circuits.

Unplug

You’ve probably already been told to unplug appliances when you’re not using them as this reduces your energy bills. But, it is also safer. If the appliance isn’t plugged in it won’t be a safety risk and it won’t be damaged by a lightning strike.

Unplugging saves you money while protecting the things you own.

Be Aware Of Water

Water and electricity get along very well because water is a great conductor. That means when water touches electricity it will be electrified and, if you touch the water, you’ll get an electric shock.

No outlet should be positioned close to the water outlets. Make sure this is the case in your kitchen and always dry your hands properly before you touch any electrical item. It is definitely better to be safe than sorry.

A little common sense in the kitchen can go a long way.

About Carissa Taylor

Carissa is the founder and creator of the Gliving. With an emphasis on healthy eating and living, Carissa's recipes and food photography have been featured in various publications including the Food Network Blog, Huffington Post, TODAY Food, and more.